Sunday, September 4, 2011

W1D3 // Compromise


   
    Week 1 is officially complete but I decided that I would repeat it until I can complete the sessions comfortably. Today was really good because I completed nearly all the 60 second running periods but I was still fighting for breath at the end of each. I figure by next week I will be more comfortable completing the sessions and then I can increase the times I spend running. 
     I noticed that I'm starting to develop a running style, whereas before I had no idea how far to move my feet or how to land on them. I'm also not as concerned about other people in the park, I concentrate on the sky or the path, which helps me. Another thing is that I made the realization that the first time I tried running I was really self-conscious about how I was puffing and wheezing and would suppress myself, which meant I was getting less oxygen than my body needed; now, I switched the way I looked at it, I control my breathing so I can get as much oxygen as possible... Sure, I breathe heavily and I don't sound like the athlete I want to be, but everyone has to start somewhere and I'm sure they (at one point) sounded like me. 
     Last thing I wanted to mention is the inner struggle I'm having these days. Lately, mp3 players caught my attention and my consumerist side is convinced that if I buy a nice mp3 (not the 1 Gb cheap-o that I have) I'll turn into a marathon runner. Of course, that is not true, the only way I can turn into a marathon runner is by training, says my rational side. So I came up with a solution to satisfy my cravings and my better judgement: complete the Couch-to-5K program and then buy myself whatever I want, which would be either a tablet or an mp3. Its the perfect motivation to complete the program and will give me time to save up for whatever I may choose to buy. I'm a firm believer in the reward system and if you are doing this program with me, or some other challenge, definitely consider doing something like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment