Friday, September 2, 2011

W1D2 // Creepers

     
Before anything else I'd like to apologize for not linking the source of the Couch-To-5K Plan earlier. If you're interested please visit the site and I should also note that I'm using Robert Ullrey's podcasts and they're wonderful. I believe the program is available in various languages and the podcasts are free. Check it out!

----

     It seems to be that time of year that its always raining down in Florida. I almost wasn't going to be able to run today but the rain finally eased up enough for me to take care of business and... I made the mistake of wearing a windbreaker (thinking it could protect me from the sprinkle) but I didn't count on the humidity and heat after the rain turning the inside of my windbreaker into a sauna. It was horrible. I didn't last 2 minutes with it on. Immediately I decided it would be best to leave it on one of the park benches, hope no one took it, and simply pick it up on my way back. After that, running was a lot easier. After researching it seems the general rule of thumb is to never overdress because body heat will warm you up about 15 degrees during your workout, according to Luff
     I wasn't able to finish the 60 second running intervals completely this time, I don't know if it was because I was still sore from Day 1 or if maybe I need to tweak my diet, but I did what I could and I am definitely a lot happier that I did something. I kept a general positive outlook and concentrated on my arms, footwork, and breathing. I tinkered with different breathing patterns and maybe that affected my running.... I'm not sure. What I forgot to check was my posture, and I noticed I spent more energy on raising my legs a little higher than Day 1, which might have contributed to my tiredness. 
     Overall, I feel I did well. I might have to repeat week one because I want to be at the point where I finish the 60-sec.-running/90-sec.-walking completely; right now I'd say I'm doing 30/120. I definitely think I should incorporate a 30-min. walk during my resting days in order to rejuvenate my muscles and not miss a work-out. Yesterday, my rest day, I didn't do any exercise except a light 5 minute stretch in the morning and the evening. 
     Last note: saw the biggest wild spider I have ever seen in my life!!! Its body was maybe an inch bigger than my thumb with really long legs. So as not to disturb it (or it disturb me), I've decided to head to the other side of the park from now on.  Don't get me wrong, I think spiders are great because they catch mosquitoes and other pesky bugs....but at the end of the day...they're creepers. Another rule people should live by: Avoid Creepers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment