Wednesday, August 31, 2011

W1D1 // Step By Step

   
(Will be me once I learn how to run.)


My newest challenge is to complete the Couch-to-5K program so that I can condition myself to run.

     Ever since Phys. Ed. class in Elementary School I remember detesting having to run a mile because I was always the last person to finish (if I was lucky I was second-to-last because someone was sick or something). Looking back now I recognize that part of the problem was that I wore men's steel-toed shoes. Another problem was that I led a very sedentary lifestyle and was not accustomed to running for so long. Then there was the fact that I thought I would always be the last person which I believe led to the materialization of it.  
     Well, in an attempt to conquer fears, exercise and just grow as a person I've decided that I would follow this plan and at the end of it participate in a marathon. This might take me some time but I am definitely excited to try this.
     In fact, I am pleased to announce that I completed Week 1: Day 1 (W1D1) and it was great, notwithstanding the torrential rains that came around the second half of the jog. I was indecisive at first, not sure if to go out, so I waited to see what the weather would be like. After about fifteen minutes that I saw the sky remained the same gloomy grey I headed to the park.
     During previous jogging attempts I managed to psych myself out, thoughts of how the other runners in the park would judge me and see my lack of form and I basically was weighed down by negative thoughts. Today I decided to do something different, I recognized that negativity and decided to start the run with a light attitude to help me run. As I stretched I pictured a foal learning how to stand and run and how she has to develop her endurance before she can mature into the fast mare she has the potential to be one day. Also, instead of noticing how bad I was doing, this time I noticed what was going on with me and experimented with little things that would help me and the progress that I was showing; instead of being so focused about what others were thinking about me, I focused inward, at my thoughts, at my breath, at my footing. Occasionally, I would look at the clouds, but I was so mesmerized by the fact that I actually was jogging and how good I felt that I didn't heed the clouds rolling towards me.
     A little more than halfway in, it started to drizzle and I didn't think anything of it, I just kept going. About a minute later it seemed like the heavens were raining down on my head. Water pelted my eyes to the point that I literally couldn't see where I was going. I alternated between sprints and walking on the way back home, and when I finally reached my house the rain stopped.
     Either way, I'm just so thrilled that I had a positive, successful first run and I can barely wait until Friday so I can try again. For Friday though I think I should dedicate more time to warming up, cooling down and stretching. Also, I think I'll eat lighter things (that are not croquettes) to boost my body with some clean energy for the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment