Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Reminder



     Yesterday, as I was walking "Affirmation" by Savage Garden popped up on my mp3 and I was reminded of all the things I believe in...followed by the chilling realization that I have veered a long way from them.
     I feel I used to be a lot more eco-conscious. The other day when visiting a new restaurant, I told the cashier that I didn't need a plastic bag but he put my items in one anyways - instead of taking my things out of the bag and returning it to him, I merely accepted it and left. Also, there was a time when I would take a shower using a little bucket instead of letting the water run so as to minimize water consumption. Now I'm back to taking 30 minute showers. It is embarrassing! Worst of all, I used to be a vegetarian, preparing all my food at home, washing it down with water from a water-fountain or tap water I'd keep in my reusable water bottle. Then for the longest time I kept eating out, eating meat and so much junk food that I've gained nearly all the weight I lost 2 years ago back. Thats just the beginning. I used to exercise more, volunteer more and be more diligent about my homework, so on and so forth. Don't want to get too into it, otherwise I'll be here all day.
     My point in writing this is to highlight what I'm doing wrong so I may do something about it. Luckily, it is never too late to change. I've recovered my bottle from the cupboard, armed myself with reusable bags and have embraced a more plant-based diet once more. I also bought a spearmint plant and hope to learn how to properly care for it. If I can keep it alive I'll slowly work on a little vegetable patch so I have to depend less on outside sources... of course with my history with plants that will be a long time from now...if ever, but I'm hopeful! Tonight, when I shower, I also plan to start using my bucket again, theres no excuse not to now that the cold is gone.
     Now to go walking before it starts raining.



    

No comments:

Post a Comment