Monday, March 7, 2011

I think I'm coming down with some FB.



Patient Info: 21, female, Type 2 FB:
     Wakes up, checks Facebook, gets ready, checks Facebook, eats, checks Facebook, watches a movie, checks Facebook, eats, checks Facebook, goes to bed, checks Facebook. "Sleep? But Facebook is so much more fun!"

     Imagine all the stuff I could have done instead of check my Facebook! Its crazy how often I find myself logging on, as if I were expecting some life-changing thing to pop up in a notification.
     Well, after consulting Dr. Garcia (moi), the answer resembles something like how you would handle chickenpox: every time you see yourself about to scratch the itch, just move your hand away and find something else to do. Whenever I see myself about to log on I'll just move away from the computer or go back to the task I need to do. I will allow myself to log-in two times a day for half an hour at most.
     Facebook is becoming a problem because every time I log in I waste at least half an hour and I've been logging in a lot! What can I possibly do with all that time? Scrabble, Wakawaka, peruse photos, read old conversations, have new conversations, follow news, etc etc etc. This is time I need to utilize for my classes that I've been reckless with. So time to nip this in the bud. And if I'm determined to procrastinate on my work I'd rather spend time reading a book than simply hovering over Facebook.
     Why not go cold turkey and just get rid of Facebook all together? Because Facebook is beneficial and as Mamique (my grandmother) used to say, everything in moderation.
     What do you plan to do with all this time, you may ask. Well over the weekend I started decreasing my log-ins and doing other things. I found I exercised, tended to my new plants (spearmint, basil and dill), read more, went out with my family and friends more; its mind-boggling how by simply using the computer less you have all this time to take advantage of. Its also just great doing these things and feeling productive after a long day.
     At the risk of sounding like a Facebook junkie, I wanted to write this because I think the issue deserves attention. As more of the world is logging onto the internet, more people are getting ensnared in the web. I notice people (myself included) getting more antisocial, the rise of obesity and diabetes, and all this stuff... While Facebook is not the cause of this, I definitely think spending too much time online is a factor. I chose to concentrate on Facebook because that is what I find myself playing with the most.
     What site are you addicted to?

No comments:

Post a Comment