Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hairy Situation

     Well... its been like 14 years since I've gotten a real hair cut... and I feel the time has come to finally get one. I know some of you may protest and urge me not to but here are my reasons.

1 - Split ends. If I cut my hair short I can strengthen my hair.
2 - Metamorphosis. I've been growing my hair for a long time, literally for like 14 years with a certain ideal in mind. By cutting my hair I'm shedding the girl I was so I can grow into the woman I want to be.
3 - Attachment. I absolutely love my hair, its one of the features that I'm extremely proud of... Cutting it will be sort of an experiment with truth of sorts to remind me that at the end of the day, its just hair and it doesn't matter.
4 - Comfort Zone.  I want to step out of my comfort zone and try something new. I'm used to the whimsical long-haired beauty look and I would love to grow into the fierce and foxy short-haired look.
5 - $$$ - I have to spend A LOT of money on my hair, whether it be on haircuts, hair products and just time. By cutting it I'll have less hair, less to worry about, less time spent combing it, less shampoo/conditioner, etc.
6 - Exploring beauty ideals. Long hair is like the epitome of femininity (according to some). By cutting it I can shed that image and explore other expressions of beauty. Most important, while I'm not brave enough to shave my head, I can cut my hair short and focus on the inner beauty.
7 - It grows back. Its haircut, not a tattoo. This is by no means permanent, it'll grow back if I don't like it. And these days I know what products I can turn to to help my hair grow back faster. 
8 - In the way. Whenever I went running, even if I had it in a tight bun, the weight of my hair would loosen the bun until it got to the point that it would start smacking my head with every step. When its hot and I have my hair down I start generating a lot of heat and a lot of sweat follows. Sometimes it gets tangled with my purse handles, get in my food, blows in my face, etc.

     So I'm pretty convinced and really excited because I think I know what style I want. Something that looks like this...

 

You're probably like "Cristina... that is NOT short!" Maybe not for you but just imagine that right now my hair reaches all the way down to my bum. This is extremely short for me. The only thing left is to save up money for it and find a place to cut my hair. Wish me luck!


1 comment:

  1. Love it! My fave reason

    "Metamorphosis. I've been growing my hair for a long time, literally for like 14 years with a certain ideal in mind. By cutting my hair I'm shedding the girl I was so I can grow into the woman I want to be."

    When I cut my hair this was my motto! I wanted to shed who I was and start that fight and internal struggle about who i will become vs who I want to be....

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete