Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hairy Retaliation



     So I couldn't think of anything but my hair all of last night and today, even while studying for one of my midterms. I decided I should be fair and really examine why I wanted to cut my hair, what I would get from it and whether I really needed to cut my hair or not. 
     Well what made me seriously think about this was how long it took me to grow my hair... I'd have to wait another 5-10 years for it to get the way it is. And its so useful! I've literally used my hair as a sweater, as a whip, as shade, as a pillow, so on and so forth. I started thinking about all the times I've spent twirling in the pool pretending to be a mermaid (as lame as that sounds) and the feeling of it tickling my back when I wear a tank top and realized... And I remembered ALL the times I've gotten complimented for my hair. I mean people have stopped me before to tell me how nice my hair looks and how wonderful it smells and all these nice things. How could I not think twice about getting rid of something I love?
     A big reason why I wanted to cut it short was because I've been studying Jainism and Buddhism a lot and I was reading how attachments/aversions hinder us from reaching enlightenment and I guess I wanted to be just like these wise teachers that I got the idea in my head to cut my hair and break attachment to it. On top of that, I found a style that I really admired (the foxy lady) and thought I could live with... only... I can't live with it. I started realizing how attached I am to my hair and if I went through with cutting it how I would still be attached with my hair. Last night I made a little "farewell hair" video sharing my plans with my friends and after watching it for the hundredth time I finally registered that I wasn't happy with my decision. My eyes literally watered up at one moment and a look came across my face as if I was giving my baby up for adoption. I mean I hadn't cut my hair and already I was looking for the most potent hair-growing shampoos/conditioners to get it back.  
     So my decision: while one day I would like to get the foxy lady look and maybe later I could renounce the world and my hair... I'm just not ready to part with my lovely long locks at the moment. And yes, I have an attachment to it, but the way rid myself of the attachment is not by suddenly cutting it because then I'll just be obsessed for years about getting it back. In fact, by keeping my hair, I'll just forget about it and I can go about my business. I'm sure there will come a day in the future that I will be 110% ready to part with my hair. When the day comes, I will know, but right now I know I am 110% not ready. 

I do intend on doing something new with it. While contemplating the issue my mind turned a lot to the movie Tangled and I remembered what the little girls did to her hair to make it more manageable: they braided it. I think that by braiding my hair it'll help keep it out of my way, give me the new-hairdo feeling and most importantly, let me keep my hair. Best thing that came out of this whole little homemade drama? I know what I want to be for Halloween! ;D 




   

No comments:

Post a Comment