Sunday, July 31, 2011

Thoughts on my Diet and Lifestyle.

 

  I think I'm going to wait until I am a little trimmer to pursue running because I feel very uncomfortable with the way my tummy bounces as I run. On a bright note, I've lost 23 lbs since Spring Break! It has not been easy and has taken a lot of effort but I'm so proud. I want to lose 30 lbs more by December 16. I'm so pumped for it! If I make my goal it will be the lightest I've ever been in my adult life! I'm ecstatic about it. I reached 230 using Jenny Craig, then regained nearly all the weight because I had no idea how to properly eat. Yes, my stomach had reduced in size and I got the concept of eating various small meals a day but I didn't know how to make it work on my own. And did I exercise? Not really, it hadn't clicked for me yet. So while vegetating, I turned to really unhealthy food, then bigger portions, then less portions until I returned to my regular routine and nearly gained all the weight back. There were periods, where due to light exercise, I was able to delay the ascent, but by Spring Break I rose from my 230 to 276. I started Jenny Craig at 284. When I saw 276 on the scale I immediately got scared because I had vowed never again to reach my previous weight. Also, my family has a history of diabetes and other obesity-related diseases that I want to avoid.
     There have been things I've learned throughout the year from books, videos, CDs, and stuff my dad has found out like the concept of "the good, the bad, the ugly" that helped me reach 253. This concept especially has helped me. Basically, whenever you eat, you always have choices and you should look at them as the good, the bad, the ugly; you can eat all 3, but you want to eat, ideally, more good, than bad and ugly - and more good and bad, than ugly.  Say I want a snack in the afternoon and I can choose between an orange (the good), a quaker cereal bar (the bad) or a Snicker's bar (the ugly). It helps me put things in perspective and choose according to how good I've been the rest of the day. And I always keep in mind my goal, which leads me to choose more good than bad and ugly. Now I won't sit here and lie to you, tell you that I've never had a bad choice again (had 3 whole family size KitKats not too long ago, which I regretted instantly). But you know what? Breaking the diet once in a while is ok because it will keep you from getting desperate and pillaging every bakery, pizzaria and ice cream shop within a 10 mile radius when you finally do crack. The Ads Diet recommends saving one meal within the week for this break, it can be whatever you want, and you don't have to feel guilty about it. I felt that was a really good idea and have kept it in mind.    
     Also, I used to detest the idea of exercise and scoff at all those who did like it. Looking back, I suppose I associated it with memories of always failing the PE tests, never able to do a single pull up and always the last to run a mile. Also, one day in my youth someone pointed out how my thighs jiggled with every step I took, which made me not want to move so I wouldn't jiggle at all. Well, YEARS later, I had the epiphany that my current sedentary lifestyle, full of inactivity and junk food, was doing nothing to help me. So, one day I decided to walk. When that started giving me results, I thought I would try the bicycle. The bicycle was the best thing that could have happened to me. I ride it nearly every day, and realized it was also the answer to helping the environment. So I'm training so one day I can ride 40 miles, at which time I feel I will be able to commute regularly by bike. And I think thats the key, connecting exercise to something important and enjoyable, so its not a tedious ritual that you hate and would rather skip. 
     Right now, I'm working on turning to a more plant-based diet, avoiding alcohol and just junk that is bad for me. Overall, I'm being more conscious of all my decisions and how they affect my self and the world. I hope that others will begin to be more conscious because really, every decision has consequences. Best thing about our world though is that you always have choices: the good, the bad and the ugly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment